Monday, October 13, 2008

Our Plan...




This is the Floor Plan for our Bungalow. It is a little less than 800 square feet but, very livable. Since it is only Denise and I (and occasionally) 1 or 2 Grandchildren, we decided that we could live in a smaller house. We are also paying for it as we build it so, that also contributed to its compact size.


So far, I have $3,996.75 invested in the house. That includes the entire Framing Package. I shopped around (a lot) and asked people to beat each others prices. You will be surprised at how low salesmen are willing to go if you just ask. I have been all over the world (with the military) and I can tell you that we are one of a very few cultures that actually pays the sticker price without questioning it. Most other countries negotiate everything. Try it sometime and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.


Anyway, I am an avid researcher of Aladdin and Sears homes from the early 20th Century. I have several old catalogs from 1919 and 1929 and so on. I was thumbing through my 1929 Aladdin Catalog the other night and came across this plan:
Denise thought that I had used the middle plan as inspiration for our floor plan. Here's a closer look:


I was amazed at how closely they resemble each other. Take out the wall between the Living and Dining Rooms, Remove the Basement stairs and slightly move some of the windows and it'a a dead ringer for the plan I designed. Guess I could have saved a lot of time if I had just looked through the catalog first! Anyway, I'll bet my next paycheck that I'm the only person in the country building a brand new Aladdin Home from 1929 right now.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's looking great sweetie! I am so proud for you! Love you, Aunt Sandy. P.S. Still waiting for my you to get started on my plans.

Anonymous said...

Charley & Denise!!!

This looks so GREAT. I know you are so excited for it to be complete. Good luck....and I'll check back now and then.

Leslie